It was a rather slow and not terribly productive week. This next week we have dentist appointments, and egg hunt and the (agony-inducing) semi-annual seasonal clothing switcheroo event so it will probably be a less-productive week as well. Ah well, into every life some slow must fall.
We did hack away at planting a bit. While the little girls planted two packages of radishes in an area about 4’ x 6” (!) I put in the peas, carrots and parsnips. The carrots and parsnips are covered with burlap as a recommended alternative to trying to cover them with 1/8” of soil. I am trying not to be impatient and just sitting tight for their long germination period. I hear that carrots, in particular, can be pretty fiddly to grow so I’d probably better just settle in for a long learning period as well. I noticed after I planted them that the package recommended NOT applying any type of fertilizer to the soil immediately before planting to prevent hairy and forked roots. Oops. If they sprout and grow then we may just have to use them for juicing. Also, I have a zillion or so parsnip seeds and they are only viable for a year on average. Three varieties was probably overkill.
The boys and my husband finished the second raised bed and the seed potatoes arrived yesterday, so that needs to be on the to-do list for the week.
I planted all but three of the blueberries and serviceberries yesterday. I chose a site where they could get a little afternoon shade, but it’s even further away from the faucet than everything else. When Isaiah came in from watering the orchard this week (before I planted the blueberries), he flopped down on the couch and said, “we need to get an irrigation system in!” So true, and we are just going to make it worse as we continue on bed-building. Our dream is to be able to 1) put in a faucet every hundred feet or so in the fenced orchard/garden area so we can water without having to use 300’ of hose, 2) get the berries onto drip irrigation and off of the weed-feeding soaker hoses, 3) get the trees onto drip irrigation—there are 30(?) of them after all, and 4) automate it all. I wish we could that month back when we all had the flu. We could really use the time.
Kitchen stuff—I ordered some Heremes jars for fermenting. The gasket is supposed to do a reasonable job of allowing gases to escape, while preventing oxygen seeping in during the fermentation period. I decided against the pricey Fidos as a couple people said that had gotten good results with the Anchor Hocking brand. Elijah and I both want to try out making kimchi, but I need to track down some daikon radish.
Also, the strawberry/apple butter is a little wet (I should have evaporated it another half day or so), but very good. It will be gone before we are sick of it. I am thinking of trying strawberry/pear butter this week.